Monday, April 27, 2009

OKC Memorial Marathon

The big day has come and gone and it was a huge success!
Congratulations to all of those who walked, ran, wheeled etc. You are all amazing!

Together the six members of our team ran 26.2 miles! What a huge feeling of accomplishment when you cross that finish line! It was totally amazing to finish knowing that we did this to accomplish something greater than ourselves and to remember the day that hundreds of innocent people died. It was really heartbreaking to see the runners with signs on their backs that represented friends and family members who had passed away. I saw a lady running with a sign representing a 15 month old baby and my heart melted. How lucky we are to live the life we do. When we walked through the memorial several people had put their medals on their loved ones chair along with their bib. It really made me thankful for my family.

Altogether, it was an amazing experience and I am ready to go back next year!
This is the starting line at 6:30am after the buzzer had sounded for the race to begin!
(sorry it's blurry)
If you can spot the green shirt that is Ryan running towards me to hand off for my portion of the relay.
Ryan is already setting a goal to run the half marathon next year and I may be running along with him! If not we are definitely putting our shirts away for next year's relay!
The photo belolw is our team! Here is our relay breakdown:

Ryan-6.2 miles
Amber-3.1 miles
Sarah-7.6 miles
Elizabeth & Bailey-3.1 miles
Sarah E-6.2 miles
Together-26.2 miles
Time-4:29:47

We totally defeated our goal of 4 1/2 hours!
GO TEAM RIDGE RUNNERS!

At the end of the race Elizabeth, Bailey and I walked over to catch SE coming to the finish line. Once we found her we ran the last few steps and got to cross the line! This picture below I took while running towards the finish-what a great feeling!

The OKC Memorial-it was really great to see so many people running in honor of those who lost their lives.

I love my sweet husband and I am so glad he joined our team and ran with us!

This is Abbey. She is in my class. Her dad also participated on a relay team along with Sarah's husband! I'm so glad she got to come see her dad run and her teacher too!

As you can tell it was a very windy day, but we were thankful the storms didn't come until later in the evening! What a successful marathon!
Can't wait til next year!

No comments: